Ivory Coast won their second Africa Cup of Nations in dramatic fashion, beating Ghana 9-8 on penalties.
Third-place play-off result
It was a largely stale affair to end both Equatorial Guinea and Congo DR’s campaigns in the Africa Cup of Nations, as the Congolese side won the tie 4-2 on penalties.
Results of semi-finals
|RD Congo||1-3||Ivory Coast
|24e sp D.Mbokani||20e Y.Touré
|42e sp J.Ayew
Results of quarter-finales
| 55e F.Doré
|70e A.Akaichi|| 90+3e pen. J.Balboa
| 26e W.Bony
| 4e C.Atsu
Hosts Equatorial Guinea are through to the semi-finals of the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations after coming back from 1-0 down to beat Tunisia 2-1 after extra time in their quarter-final encounter on Saturday.
Will be a shame to see Felipe Ovono go home. For me, has been the best GK of the tourney #ANC2015
— Colin Udoh (@ColinUdoh) January 31, 2015
DR Congo pulled off an extraordinary comeback in the first quarter-final, fighting from two goals down against Congo to prevail 4-2 and move into the last four.
— Joe Crann (@YesWeCrann) January 31, 2015
Groupe stage results
| 16e Emilio Nsue
|Equatorial Guinea||0-0||Burkina Faso|
86e I.Salvador Edu
| 51e B.Thievy
88e F.Ondama N’Guessi
|2e G.Singuluma||66e Y.Bolasie|
|70e M.Moncer||78e pen. Heldon|
|59e E.Mayuka|| 70e A.Akaichi
|Cape Verde||0-0||DR Congo|
|66e J.Bokila||31e A.Akaichi|
|14e pen. A.Ayew||58e M.Diouf
| 67e csc T.Hlatswayo
|47e O.Manyisa||60e S.Kara M’Bodji|
| 11e R.Mahrez
|17e M.Masango|| 73e J.Boye
|36e M.Yattara||72′ S.Doumbia|
|71e S.Yatabaré||84e A.Oyongo|
|B. Moukandjo||I. Traoré|
|15e sp K.Constant||47e M.Maïga|
- Equatorial Guinea led for the majority of the fixture and will be disappointed not to come away with a win, but a draw against Congo is stDill a fantastic result for the football minnows.
Gabon opened their campaign with a 2-0 win over Burkina Faso, losing the battle for possession but being far more clinical in front of goal.
Tunisia and Cape Verde Islands shared the spoils in their opening match in Ebebiyin, as all four teams in Group B go into the second round of games level on a single point.
In a game lacking quality, Mohamed Ali Moncer put the Tunisians ahead after 70 minutes, before Heldon Ramos equalized from the penalty spot to secure Cape Verde a deserved draw.
- It was an impressive fightback by the Desert Foxes, who went top of the table on goal difference in the group of death after Senegal defeated Ghana 2-1 earlier
- Ivory Coast 1-1 Guinea AFCON 2015: Seydou Doumbia rescues the Elephants after Gervinho sees red in Group D.
Neither Cameroon nor Mali could take advantage of the Ivory Coast’s slip-up against Guinea and go top of Group D of the Africa Cup of Nations, as the sides played out the tournament’s fifth 1-1 draw in the first eight games.
Ambroise Oyongo’s late equalizer denied Mali all three points, cancelling out Sambou Yatabere’s opener, and leaving all four teams level after the first round of matches.
In a game of few chances but plenty of heavy tackling it was always likely to take a set-piece or a defensive error to break the deadlock – in the end, the opening goal had an element of both.
- Asamoah Gyan’s penchant for big goals on the international stage continued on Friday, as the Ghana star hit a last-ditch goal to shock Algeria and keep the Black Stars’ African Cup Of Nations dream alive.
- French coach Claude le Roy enhanced a remarkable record as Congo defeated Burkina Faso 2-1 to reach the 2015 CAF Africa Cup of Nations quarter-finals.
- Hosts Equatorial Guinea advanced to the quarter-finals of the CAF Africa Cup of Nations amid emotional scenes on Sunday as second-half goals by Javier Balboa and Iban Edu secured a 2-0 win over Gabon in Bata.
- Tunisia and Congo are qualified in group B.Loteteka Bokila strike cancels out Ahmed Akaichi’s header as both sides reach last eight.
Comment on this post with facebook!
Tags: afcon 2015